Physiologyplus has put together MCQ Physiology on Cell (With Answers), from various Physiology exams and tests for health colleges and universities, online Physiology courses, and other medical training programs. Taking our Physiology practice MCQs will help you earn better grades in your Physiology courses. This will pave the way for your medical degree,nursing degree, or other allied health degree. Best Wishes!
1. The substance that moves through the cell membrane during osmosis is:
e. Any cation
Correct Answer: C (Water)
2. The phase of the cycle in which cell contents grow and duplicate is:
3. Chromosomes first appear distinct during the mitotic stage of:
e. none of the above
Correct Answer: Prophase
4. The process through which cells develop different characteristics in structure and function is called:
e. clonal expansion
5. Which of the following series of events of mitosis is in the correct order?
a. Telophase, prophase, anaphase, metaphase
b. Prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase
c. Anaphase, prophase, metaphase, telophase
d. Metaphase, prophase, anaphase, telophase
Answer: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase
6. Which of the following are characteristic of cancer?
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
Ans – D
7. The principal intracellular cation is:
Answer – K+ (Potassium ions)
8. Which of the following values is closest to the resting membrane potential of mammalian cells?
a. -20 mV
b. -60 mV
c. +60 mV
d. +20 mV
e. +30 mV
Correct answer: (b) -60 mV
9. Endocytosis is used by cells to:
a. Secrete large molecules into the extracellular space
b. Ingest bacteria and cell debris
c. Retrieve elements of the plasma membrane after exocytosis
d. Is always employed by cells for secretion
e. Is used to deliver material into the extracellular space
Correct Answer: Retrieve elements of the plasma membrane after exocytosis
10. The resting membrane potential is mainly determined by:
a. The Cl- gradient
b. The Ca2+ gradient
c. The Na+ gradient
d. The K+ gradient
e. The Mg2+ gradient
11. The membrane biomolecule labeled B involved in cell recognition is:
c. Lipid bilayer
d. Extrinsic protein
e. Hydrophilic head group
12. Fluid Mosaic Model of Plasma Membrane was proposed by:
a. S J Singer and Garth L Nicolson
b. Danielle and Davson
c. David Robertson
d. Meselson and Sahli
e. Robert Darwin
Correct answer – S J Singer and Garth L Nicolson
13. The site of protein synthesis is
a. Plasma membrane
ANSWER: b. Ribosome
14. The Golgi apparatus is
A. Found in all eukaryotic cells.
B. A collection of complex tubules and vesicles
C. Well developed in cells with secretory activity
D. Associated with endoplasmic reticulum
E. Not conspicuous in neurons
15. The human cell nucleus
A. Has a membrane, which is permeable to nucleic acid.
B. In somatic cells contains 44 chromosomes.
C. Stores its genetic material in the nucleolus
D. Has a skeleton of fine filaments
E. Is essential for cell division.
16. Membrane ion channels
A. Consist mainly of carbohydrate and lipid.
B. Have a specific structure for each ion species.
C. For sodium may be blocked by tetrodotoxin.
D. May be opened by a given change in transmembrane potential.
E. Remain open as long as the activating signal is present.
17. The endoplasmic reticulum
A. Is a complex system of intracellular tubules
B. Is a component of the Golgi apparatus
C. Has a membrane structure similar to the cell membrane
D. Is associated with ribonucleoprotein
E. Is well developed in secretory cells.